Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Why is There a Blender in Your Bathroom?

I see a lot of strange things in my line of work, but not as many gross things as you might imagine - just strange.  For instance, today I saw a blender sitting on a master bathroom counter.  Margaritas while taking a bubble bath?  Who knows.

Last week was overwhelming.  I'd almost over-booked myself and was physically at my limit.  Friday afternoon, when I was almost done with my week and really worn out, I got a terrible phone call from a client.  This client is an elderly woman who is on lots of medication and has lots of baggage.  She believes she is practically disabled and is quite bitter about it.  She was only my client for about 6 weeks, and I can't even remember how many pity parties I had to attend.  She cried often, out of self pity.  Anyway, on this particular day, I believe she was off her medication.  She called me and began accusing me of dishonest, terrible things.  I politely disagreed.  She began to get personal.  I told her our that our business relationship was over.  Even though the things she said to me weren't true and sounded manic, it really got to me.  For days I dwelled on her negative attitude and her cruel words.  I began to doubt myself, my work, my worth.  I am not quite over it yet, but I'm so grateful I don't have her as my client anymore.  She was a trouble maker who complicated my schedule and complained about my prices.  And now I realize she was a big phony.  So, it feels good to have cut the dead weight.  That hurtful conversation just made room for better clients who appreciate my hard work and recognize that I'm a human being who deserves respect.

I'm looking forward to the next few weeks with my new clients.  In the past month I've gained several new clients who I am still trying to get to know.  Once my schedule gets back into a new routine (new clients simply take up more time until they become regular clients) I will begin heavily advertising again.  By that time I hope to have an employee to help me with the surge of clients.  Here's to the power of a positive attitude!

No comments:

Post a Comment