Thursday, April 22, 2010

Fickle Clients Will Always Come and Go

Yes, fickle clients will always come and go.  How quickly they will go... 

About 3 weeks ago I signed on several new clients within just a couple of days.  It was overwhelming, to say the least, and I found myself pushed to the limit trying to accomodate them all.  Consultations, paperwork, follow up phone calls, schedule rearrangements - gaining new clients is hard work!  I was happy to have them, though, so I did everything I could to make them all happy.  But some of them just didn't care.

It's always frustrating to me when I meet The Client Who Doesn't Care.  Perhaps you've met someone like this.  You are courteous, thoughtful, polite, adaptable, etc.  But no matter what you do, they don't return your kindness, they never say thank you or please, and then, without warning, they decide they really only wanted that one cleaning.  Out of the blue they leave a voicemail saying they'd like to cancel today's cleaning (I won't even start on The Client Who Doesn't Care not giving appropriate notice) but promises to call next week to reschedule.  Next week when they haven't called back, I will call them (good, small business owner, good!).  They'll act all confused on the phone like they can't possibly understand why I would be calling, like they don't remember requesting I come over every Monday.  "Nooooo, I don't think I need any help today...  Maybeeee I'll give you a call next week..."  The Client Who Doesn't Care doesn't understand that I can get a normal client to fill their spot, and so they will play this game for a few weeks until they finally admit they can no longer afford the cleanings.  Why oh why didn't you tell me that 3 weeks ago when this all started?  Oh yes, because you just don't care.  So, what happened to those multiple new clients a few weeks ago?  Two turned out to be terrific.  Two turned out to be fickle and I have finally gotten them off my calendar.  More room for quality clients, I say!

Thankfully  (really, I am so thankful), I have several clients who are downright awesome.  They are Clients Who Get It.  These clients understand that just as they want to get a paycheck, I rely on their word for my paycheck.  Once we have a consultation and they become my client, I count on that work.  If I can't count on them, I will find a new client.  I love my Clients Who Get It.  They tell me they appreciate me, they thank me for my hard work, they realize I'm an intelligent human being, not some lowly servant.  Thank you, all my Clients Who Get It!

No comments:

Post a Comment